How to make Squash Catsup
We all have heard of banana catsup which is very popular in the Philippines. Well, have you heard of squash catsup? This only show how health conscious we are. We are trying to incorporate vegetable in our diet in every possible ways we can. We all know catsup is usually used with meat products. And by using a vegetable as a base of catsup we can then intake vegetables with our favorite meat dishes. Here’s how they do this trick:
4 cups squash, pureed
1 c red sweet pepper, chopped
1/3 c onions, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
2½ c vinegar
3 c sugar
3 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp. water and boiled
2 tsp. grand black pepper ½ strawberry red coloring dissolved in 1/4 c water, 12 drops allspice solution
12 drops cinnamon solution
4 drops paprika solution
2 drops hot pepper extract Utensils:
household cups funnel
knife steamer strainer or cheesecloth
aluminum tray or any wide container
wide-mouthed deep cooking pot
sterilized bottles with caps How to Prepare Stock Spice
Allspice solution — Boil 4 tsp. allspice powder in 1 c water for 10 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth.
Cinnamon solution — Boil 3 tsp. cinnamon powder in 1 c water for 10 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth.
Paprika solution — Boil 6 tsp. paprika powder in 1 c water for 5 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth.
Hot pepper extract — Mash 48 pcs. “siling labuyo” in 1 c water and boil for 3 minutes. Strain through cheesecloth. Store stock spice solution in clean covered bottles for future use.
How to Prepare Squash Puree
1. Wash squash and cut along grooves. Peel and remove seeds. Cut into thin slices.
2. Steam for 5 minutes. Add 1 1/4 c water for every 12c of squash.
3. Mash and pass through strainer until fine. Add chopped red sweet pepper, onions and garlic. Mix thoroughly.
How to Prepare Squash Catsup
4. Boil vinegar, sugar and salt for 3 minutes. Add squash-spice mixture and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add cornstarch solution and black pepper and cook for another 10 minutes with constant stirring.
6. Add the required amount of spice solution (allspice, cinnamon, hot pepper extract, paprika) and food coloring. Continue boiling until catsup consistency is reached.
How to Preserve Catsup
7. Pour mixture into clean bottles while hot. Half seal bottles.
8. Arrange bottles in a big deep pot. Fill the pot with enough lukewarm water, not to exceed neck level of the bottles.
9. Boil for 15 minute. Seal bottles tightly. This catsup may last for 1 year without any changes in taste and aroma.
source: itdi, tekno tulong
picture from: landcareresearch.co.nz