The coconut is called the tree of life because of its usefulness . Almost all part of the coconut tree can be utilized for different purpose. The trunk could be used as a cocolumber, leaves as walis tingting, fruit as food etc. The coconut husk could be use as panggatong, coconet and etc.
Another use for the coconut husk / coconut coir is to use it as a wallboard.
- 100 grams of coconut husk
- 500 grams starch (as binder)
- 100 grams of coconut husk is sundried and cut into smaller pieces.
- After sundrying the coconut husk mix it with 500 grams of starch and 1.5 liters of water.
- Mix thoroughly.
- After mixing cook it in a caldron until the water evaporates.
- After the water evaporates pour it to the molder. The molder could be a 4 x 4 inch frame and you also need a two piece 4 x 4 inch plywood.
- The 4 x 4 inch plywood would serve as a press (back and front) for mixture so it would be compact.
- Put weights on top of the plywood and let it settle/harden for 24 hours.
- Remove the hardened coconut board then sundried for 4-5 days.
You now have a sample coco wallboard. If you think the hardness of the coco wallboard is appropriate enough for use as a wallboard then you could make a bigger molder and repeat the procedure and adjust the materials appropriately.
If the coco wallboard is soft or flimsy then repeat the procedure ,you can add more coconut husk and before sundrying you can oven bake it for 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
Trial and error until you have the desired strength.
One thought on “Coco wallboard”