NATA DE KALABASA
Kalabasa peels and core
Glacial acetic acid
Nata starter (available at ITDI)
1. Wash the peels and core of kalabasa, add 3 parts water for every part of peel/core.
Boil for 3 minutes.
2. Strain then for every 4 cups of strained liquid from boiled peels/core, and 2/3 cup
sugar and 1 1/4 tsp. ammonium sulfate.
3. Heat for 15 minutes, then cool. Add 1 1/4 tsp. acetic acid to adjust the acidity
favorable to the growth of the nata organism then add 2/3 cup of nata starter (available
at ITDI) for every 4 cups of kalabasa mixture.
4. Set aside for 10-15 days, then harvest the nata product.
5. Cook one kilo of nata in one of kilo sugar to come up with delightful dessert.
Source: ITDI (DOST)