SMOKED FISH (TINAPA)
1 kilo tamban or galunggong
Salt Utensils: Kitchen knife
1. Cut the fish along the back just above the backbone to split it open leaving the belly solid.
2. Remove all internal organs and blood.
3. Make another cut under the backbone.
4. Wash well and soak for 30 minutes in a solution of ½ cup salt and 4 cups water.
5. Place fish in a coarsely woven basket and dip in boiling 10% salt solution (approximately 6 tbsp. salt for every 4 cups water until the eyes turn white).
6. Arrange fish in smoking trays and drain for 10 minutes.
7. Partially dry fish in cool, shady place for about 3 hours before smoking.
8. Smoke fish at 32-38° C for 1-2 hours or until golden brown in color.
9. Cool smoked fish for a while and brush with vegetable oil.
Source: NSTA Compendium of Transferrable/Commerciable Technologies