FLOUR AND VINEGAR FROM SQUASH FLOUR
1. Wash and peel the squash, remove the core and seeds.
2. Slice into 1 x x cm.
3. Soak in 0.01% sodium metabisulfite to preserve the natural food nutrients.
4. Wash in tap water, drain.
5. Blanch for 15 minutes, drain.
6. Dry in an oven at about 50-55° C.
7. Grind and strain several times. Pack in plastic bags and cover tightly. VINEGAR
1. Wash the core and peelings, add three parts water for every part of the core and
2. Boil for 15 minutes.
3. Strain. Add 1 1/4 cup sugar for every 4 cups of liquid mixture.
4. Roll again for 20 minutes. Transfer into a container, add 1 tsp. yeast.
5. Allow to ferment for 7 days unti it reaches an alcohol content of 8%.
6. Decant the alcohol solution slowly so as to separate the precipitate from the alcohol
7. Add 1 cup vinegar starter for every 4 cups of the alcoholic solution.
8. Allow to ferment for 15-20 days. Acidity of the solution is 6-7% as compared to
commercial brands of 4%.
Source: ITDI (DOST)