Production Guide on Corn
Open Pollinated Varieties
Soil sample will be collected before plowing for soil analysis. If the soil pH is less than 5.3 limin hould be done to raise the desired soil pH (5.3- 5.5) This will be done one month before planting by broadcasting and followed by plowing to incorporate in the soil.
The land should be thoroughly prepare by two plowings and harrowings.
Minimum tillage is also recommend by one plowing and glyphosphate + ammonium sulfate application
Continue reading “Corn Growing”
Zea mays L. (Farm Gramineae).
Corn, Gahilang, Igi, Mait, Maize, Mangi, Tigi
Hairs and cobs.
INDICATIONS AND DIRECTIONS FOR USE
Diuretic — Take decoction of hairs or cobs as tea.
Protein; fats; carbohydrates.
“Corn silk” — maizenic acid, fixed oil; resin; sugar;mucilage
Source: Philippine National Formulary ,1 980
Charcoal from Corn Cob
Drum of 200 liters capacity
Water sprinkler or can
1. Place corn cobs about 1/3 of the drum and put fire until smoke is gone.
2. Place again 2/3 drum of corn cobs and burn again until smoke disappear.
3. When smoke stops remove the contents of the drum.
4. Water the corn cobs until the fire is put off.
5. Lay the corn cobs on the ground and let the drum dry.
6. Separate the charcoal from the ashes.
7. Keep in a container.