Red Dye from Sibukaw
Extracting dye for a 400 grams cloth:
1. Soak ground or wood shavings in water at a ratio of 1 kilo wood shavings for every 40 liters of water and boil for five hours.
2. Strain, then boil again until it thickens and dries.
3. Scrape the dried residue and pulverize about 120 grams
1. Heat the cloth to be dyed with 3% mordants: 12 g potassium dichromate or oxalic acid in 12 liters water at 60° C for half an hour.
2. Let to cool and wrap.
1. Boil the cloth in 30% dye mixture (1 part dye in 30 parts water). 120 g sibukaw powder dye mixed to 12 liters water 4 g sodium carbonate (1%), and 20 g sodium bisulfate (5%)
2. Stir constantly to get an even colored cloth.
3. Let it cool, squeeze, then wash well. (Use 20% teepol; 20 g teepol in 100 cc water)
4. Rinse well and dry.
(E. Fernandez, 1995)