Plant Azolla (Wide Scale Production)
Azolla can be grown abundantly in lakes or ponds, rice fields with irrigation, concrete tanks, or containers or trays with soil about 3-6 cm thick, and immersed in water about 5-7 cm high. Azolla likes shade, and this grows fast from September-October when the days are short.
1. Choose a place that is not so exposed to sunlight.
2. Prepare the soil where azolla is to be planted, like preparing for rice seedling.
3. Maintain the water height at 5-7 cm deep ( or up to the 2nd line of the middle finger).
4. Broadcast fresh azolla at 200 gm/sq.m (equivalent to two (2) one-fourth (1/4) can of condensed milkcan.
5. Put fertilizer-superphosphate fertilizer powder (0-18) about 8.3 gms/sq.m(or 1 heaping spoon) over the azolla.b Shake the azolla a little so as to wet it and dissolve the fertilizer, and avoid the burning of its leaves. Repeat this fertilizer application every four (4) days until 12 days, or 4 times application from planting.
6. If weeds grow, put a pinch of carbofuran for every sq. meter of azolla.
7. If the culture is larger than one sq. meter, spread this to hasten growth.
8. After 8-12 days, a sq m of azolla will grow more than a kilo of fresh azolla. This in turn can be planted in other culture areas