Lobster (Panulirus sp.) locally known as banagan, is an expensive priced marine crustacean both in local and international markets. It is caught using bottom gill nets and the availability of stocks is dependent on a day’s catch.
Lobster farming is a lucrative and viable livelihood , especially for coastal residents.
There are three species of lobsters: tiger lobster (Panulirus ornatus) which is distinguished by its spotted legs; Bamboo lobster (Panulirius versicolor) which has striped legs that resemeble that of a bamboo trunk; and Adik-adik lobster (Panulirus edulis) which is identified by its reddish back.
The most common lobster farmed are the tiger and bamboo lobsters.
Methods of Site selection and pen construction:
1.Select a site considering the following:
Has moderate water current and sandy ground;
Has a depth of water level should be one meter high during low tide and two meters during high tide;
Has high marine water salinity
2. Construct a pen about 20 sqm (for 200 lobster fingelings). The pen may be established near the residence of the fisher for easy monitoring.
3. Install bamboo poles underwater to serve as corners for the pen.
4. Enclose the pen with a plastic net. Cover the ground with net to prevent lobsters from escaping.
5. Tie the plastic net using nylon twine.
6. Construct firm corners and walling using bamboo slats/coconut slabs or any seawater-resistant material to protect pen from strong current and waves.
7. Cover the tip portion of the pen with bamboo slats. Provide small opening with a removable cover for feeding and harvesting.
- Weigh lobster fingerlings before stocking. Lobster with 150-200 gms can be stocked in the pen at a density of 10 pieces per square meter.
- Drop carefully and individually the fingerlings into the pen to avoid defacing the appendages of the fingerlings. Stocking should be done during high tide.
- Stock fingerlings of the same size. Lobster are carnivorous. The bigger one can eat small lobsters.
Feeding and maintenance
- Feed the lobster once day preferably in the morning with any kind of fish trash or fresh seaweed. Feeds should be chopped into small pieces.
- Using a bolo, clean the pen twice a month to remove sediments and barnacles that stick the net.
- Harvest lobsters six to ten months (approximately 900-1000 gms/pc) after.
- Harvest lobsters by gently scooping using nets to avoid damage to the species.
- Place newly-harvested lobsters in basin filled with seawater before packing.
- Wrap lobster in paper pre-soaked with saline water.
- Arrange and pile gently in styroboxes filled with ice to prolong freshness.
- Cover the styroboxes and seal with packaging tape.
Source: Sustainable livelihood options for the Philippines, Marid Agri
23 thoughts on “Lobster Farming”
gusto ko po mamili ng lobster naghahanap po ako ng magbebenta galing ng farm…09087340008
we live lobster here in cebu please contact me 09267109531.thank you
Good day. Wild Lobster fingerling for sale : Cigarette size P190/pc, Double A battery size (medium size 10g) P270, Large (20g) P330, Big (30g-200) P430 only. Trusted Supplier from Surigao del Sur. We deliver once a week in surigao city. We can also supply in Davao or Cagayan. Contact me at 0912-835-1360.
. Wild Lobster fingerling for sale : Cigarette size P190/pc, Double A battery size (medium size 10g) P270, Large (20g) P330, Big (30g-200) P430 only. Trusted Supplier from Surigao del Sur. We deliver once a week in surigao city. We can also supply in Davao or Cagayan. Contact me at 0912-835-1360.
i want to buy fingerling tiger lobster size from.050grams to 150grams unlimited if the price is okay. please text me this number 09267109531.thank you
Looking for a lobster fingerlings,20g is ok,,can deliver here in manila,text me here 09175902630 thanks
Good Day!! SELLING lobsters and fingerling lobsters from all SIZE. Red Lobster, Blue Lobster, and Tiger Lobster. Text at 0912-835-1360.
Location : Surigao del Sur.
i want to buy your lobster fingerlings can you send me your price list or quotations asap.
good day mam rochele tolentino. just txt me at my no. 09128351360 for us to contact. tnx
GoodAM Mr. Jerson.
I am interested to buy lobster fingerlings. I would like to see your farm. Where is your farm located? do you have a website?
hi mam. i dont have website. but we can show to you our aquarium of fingerling lobsters.. pls contact me at 09128351360. tnx
Hi jerson fajardo,
Could you send me quotation and some picture of your Tiger fingerling lobsters: lam.nh @ lamnguyen.com.vn, CIF or FOB price. We buy in any as you have.
Hi sir . This is my number 09128351360. Pla contact me
Hi! I am selling fingerling lobsters please contact me on
Hi!!! Good day!
Selling lobster fingerlings in various sizes and colors (black and white).
Please contact me 09327653013 or 09060237407.
Location : surigao del sur
Kinsay supplier lobster sa cebu, contact me 0935 8269067
Hi we are looking for lobster fingerlings for sale. Kindly contact us ASAP 639-073-671975
We are looking for livery spiny lobster
15ton monthly to china
please contact me
whatsapp + 821086637611
wer r u from surigao? andto kmi sa madrid surigao del sur…pano kita mapuntahan ….jerson fajardo…reply asap
Interested ako sa lobster farming. Meron ba kayo alam saan pwede mag attend ng seminar/training? Nasa Central Luzon ako located. Pwede ba magpalaki ng lobster sa isang improvise tank? Pwede nyo ako tawagan sa 0917-5079910.
Thank you and hope to hear from you.
Good morning! Are you still in this business. Do you export? What type of lobaters do you farm? I have a foreign contact looking to explore in this business in our country. May you contact me for details at +639950111543.
Hi. Can u please send me a picture and quotation of your fingerlings lobster. This my email. Samwils2322@gmail.com
Hi please send me pictures and quotation of your fingelings lobster.
This my email.