Healthy Star Ham Soy Protein
There are different kinds of ham prepared .in the Philippines in various ways like Chinese style ham, American ham. quick-cured ham or sweet ham, chicken ham. rolled ham and mini chicken ham.
Lourdes S. Rivera, the Guru of Meat Processing in the Philippines. is introducing a new type of healthy ham with soy protein named star ham.
Pork pique, boneless, skinless ground coarsely 700 gms
Pork backfat ground coarsely 300 gms
Salt refined 1 tablespoon
Curing salt ½ teaspoon
Phosphate 1 tablespoon
Vitamin C powder ¼ teaspoon
Chilled water ½ cup (62.5 gms)
*To dissolve the above ingredients
Isolate 1 Tablespoon
Carageenan 1 teaspoon
Prop Plus ½ teaspoon
Chilled water ¼ cup
Sugar, refined 2 ¼ tablespoon
Meat enhancer ½ teaspoon
Vetsin(MSG) ½ teaspoon
Cinnamon powder 1 teaspoon
Ham spice 1 tablespoon
BF Blend 1 teaspoon
1. Chill meat and backfat before grinding. Grind pork and backfat using a coarse plate.
2. Measure or weigh all the ingredients. Mix meat with backfat and mix with curing mix until tacky. Add hydrated extenders little by little until well blended. Finally add the seasonings. Mix well.
3. Put this mixture in ham molder and steam for 1 hour. Cool.
4. Remove ham from mould package (pear shaped or star shaped).
5. Caramelize with brown sugar. Cool. Package.
Yield: 1.0 kg
Source: MARID, 2007, Lourdes Rivera