Dyes from Talisay
Black color for silk and gris for cotton.
1. Get some 3.5 kilograms of talisay leaves.
2. Grind or pound the leaves.
3. Soak the ground leaves overnight in 50 liters water.
4. Strain and set aside the residue.
5. Boil the residue until it thickens to about 1/4 of its original weight.
6. Steam the residue until it dries and become a black residue.
7. Scrape the residue and pulverize it to about 280 grams.
1. Boil the cloth in 70% dye (280 g dye powder and 35% ferrous sulfate mixed in 12 liters
water) for one hour; continuously stirring to get an even color.
2. Let it cool, squeeze and wash in 100 cc water with teepol.
3. Rinse well and hang to dry.
Philippine Textile Research Institute
(E. Fernandez, 1995)