a) Sliced ginger
1. Wash fresh whole ginger
2. Peel by scraping off the skin with the blunt side of a knife.
3. Slice into 1/3 cm. thickness.
4. Soak in 2% sodium metabisulfite solution (1½ tbsp./liter of water) for 5-10 minutes.
5. Drain liquid. Spread on wire trays lined with nylon mesh or sinamay.
6. Dry under the sun or in any suitable dryer such as the solar dryer until slices are
7. Pack in plastic bags or any insect-proof container.
b) Whole ginger
1. Wash fresh whole finger. Cut into convenient sizes (about 2-3 cm. long).
2. Scrape off the skin with the blunt side of a knife.
3. Soak in 2% sodium metabisulfite solution (1 week or longer) in a covered
4. Drain and spread on wire or bamboo trays.
5. Dry in any suitable dryer like a solar dryer or under the sun.
6. Pack in plastic bags or any insect-proof container.
Source: Technical Information and Documentation Division, ITDI (DOST)