Candle is not anymore a seasonal business. You could find a variety of design and scent in different stores. Candles are now shaped as cartoon characters, buildings etc. Most candles today that we could find in department store are purely for decorative purpose and some are for aroma theraphy. Here is a simple article about candle making.
Things you need:
(Most are available in Divisoria)
Vegetable oil spry / separating medium / releasing agent
Two pan, one small, one big for water bath
Measuring cup / beaker
Mold sealer / clay
Basic Candle Making
- Prepare the water bath. Put water in the larger pan and put the smaller pan inside then heat it. The water should cover half the area of the submerged smaller pot.
- Prepare the amount of wax you need. To know the amount of wax you need, put water in the mold. Then, transfer it to a measuring cup / beaker. For every 3.5 ounces of water you need 3 ounces of wax. 1 pound of wax is equivalent to 19-20 ounces of wax. Clean the mold.
- Once you have determined the amount chip it into small pieces so it will melt easily. Be sure to add a little extra of wax (5-10%)
- Melt the wax. Be sure that you know the melting point of the wax and flashpoint.
Flashpoint is the temperature on which it would be combustible. You can look at the packaging for the flashpoint and melting point. Use the thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Prime your wick. Dip it in the melted wax for 5 minutes. Removed it, straighten it and let it cool down.
- Put releasing agent onto the mold.
- Insert the primed wick into the mold. The base of the mold would be the upper portion of the candle. So, you need to have a wick protruding here. The other end of the wick should be tied securely. You also need to seal this area to prevent the wax from pouring out.
- Pour the wax in the mold slowly. Stop if you are already ½ inch complete.
- Let it cool and tap it gently to remove pockets of air bubbles.
- As the wax cools down prick the area near the wick. This would prevent the wick from moving out of the center.
- After the wax have cooled down repour another set of hot wax to it. The wax will cover the holes that emerge after the wax cold down on the first pouring.
- Let it cool down and afterwards removed it from the molder. And you have now a candle.